When technology combines with human expertise and ingenuity, society as a whole benefits. If you take a closer look at the evolution of GDP, a key indicator of a country’s economic situation over more than 850 years, you will notice that it is constantly evolving. The only periods during which this trend is slowed down are pandemics or wars. Nevertheless, new technologies have greatly contributed to improving everyone’s health while improving our knowledge.
In the history of mankind, technology has never been more important and present in the economy than it is today. 5 of the world’s 6 largest companies are technology companies – Apple, Alphabet, Microsoft, Amazon and Facebook. Only 10 years ago, Microsoft was the only technology company in this top 6. This clearly confirms the importance and interest of new technologies.
Artificial Intelligence, spearhead of new technologies.
To date, we can distinguish 3 categories of Artificial Intelligence:
- ANI – Narrow AI: This Artificial Intelligence does not need specific programming to accomplish its tasks. It learns from her own experience but can only solve well-defined problems.
- AGI – human-ish AI: The most well-known of Artificial Intelligence, the one that everyone talks about when thinking about the Turing test. It can solve various problems without first receiving a specific programming.
- ASI – Super AI: This type of intelligence can think like humans, solve problems at the same time as it defines its own goals. This Artificial Intelligence is differentiated by its ability to develop ways to become more intelligent exponentially.
To date, the ASI has not yet revealed its full potential; It is currently the most important field of research in the field of artificial intelligence. The most important research work is focused on the creation of intelligent systems that can solve general problems using the so-called AGI technology. ANI systems are already in production and widely used by companies. Their perimeter of action makes it possible, for example, to guess the objects present on a photograph or the possibility of predicting sports results. These systems are mainly used by digital professionals.
Artificial Intelligence “: What does this term cover?
Traditionally, AI encompasses decision trees, natural language processing, and predictive analysis.
Machine Learning begins to exploit these components and understand them much better than we anticipated. To better describe our situation, it is best to use the term AI to refer to all of these activities.
The AI is already with us.
The best- known examples of successful AI:
– We beat Go – An incredibly complex game with 10170 combinations of movements that we thought unbeatable by an AI technology before 100 years ago barely 15 years ago. The defending world champion was defeated 4-1 last year. The machine even used a new type of movement in contradiction to conventional caution.
– Siri, Cortana and Google produce voice recognition systems that respond to simple actions. These systems did not exist a few years ago.
Why such an interest now?
There are three main reasons for the development of AI:
- Moore’s law is still current and his predictions still work today.
- We are able to provide these systems with sufficient data and information to make decisions independently.
- Companies have been digitized and many interfaces have been developed to access services using this intelligence.
2012 was the first year that the GPU (Graphic Processing Unit) was combined with Deep Learning technologies to achieve feats and solve unimaginable problems.
By 2014, computers quickly gained the upper hand on humans in terms of image recognition, and then in the last 18 months there has been the same acceleration in speech recognition.
Where will we be in 5-7 years?
- Chat interfaces will automatically interact with humans.
- Automated driving systems will become more general and more affordable.